DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil pump leak: what seals? (97 2.2 4cyl)

Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Default Oil pump leak: what seals? (97 2.2 4cyl)

I replaced the oil pump on my 97 Camry 2.2 4 cyl last year. Heckuva job!! But it worked.

Noticed an oil leak last week. Sure enough, it's seeping out at the rear corner of the oil pump (right above the pan).

I'm thinking I missed a seal while I was in there last year. I'd rather not do this again next year too! I've got a book, but all the photos are with a shiny engine removed from the car, and things look very different on your back through a three-inch gap with grease on your glasses.

Does anyone have a good description or parts breakout for what seals are needed and where they go to ensure this time is the last?

Ed

Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

The site below has a fair parts break out.

Did you replace the formed O-ring between the pump and housing?

Toyota Parts - Toyota-Parts.com

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM

I bought a complete pump-in-housing assembly from AutoZone. So there was already a new(???) o-ring at the pump and a new(??) shaft seal.

It's a minor leak right now, but a major job. So I'm gonna spend some time finding parts at a decent price and repair tips and help. And then take a couple days off work to extend a weekend to do this! Last time, I had to tow the car to a mechanic to break some bolts loose and I sheared off some exhaust bolts. I wonder what adventures await me this time??

Ed

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

There are only two seals. The drive shaft seal installed at the pump factory and the preformed O-ring seal.

Do you still have the old pump? Many people just replace the drive shaft seal. Both seal and O-ring are available at the Toyota dealer.

Make sure you install both pump gears with the dot on them facing the same direction.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM

The big seal in the center is the main crankshaft seal, correct?
And there's no other seals behind this?

Since it's weeping at the corner of the main pump housing body (vice at the smaller pump itself), I wondered if it wasn't simply my seal between the pump housing and the block? I'd still have to take everything apart to check that.

Ed

Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Would be very unusual to have leakage between the pump housing and block.

Might also consider a leaking camshaft seal.

The oil pump drive shaft has only the one seal centered on the shaft.

Given the oil pump seals are under pressure most leaks of these seals would be more then weeping.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Ah - an upper cam shaft seal leaking and running down inside the covers to leak out when it hits the edge of the pump! So I might not have to get that deep after all, eh?

I might could probably loosen the belt tensioner enough to slip the belt off the cam gears and replace those seals, then see if the leak stops -- Yes?? Or pipe dream??

Ed

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yes on removing the belt from the cam pulley at the top.

There is only one seal to replace on the cam. Take note of the small clearance between the frame and the engine. This makes installing the seal more of a challenge as you can't drive it in. You can buy or make a tool that uses the cam bolt to pull the tool and seal in front of it into the head.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Just a crazy thought: has anyone ever tried splitting that bottom timing belt cover so you don't have to remove the crankshaft pulley to get it off? I would love to just notch it, but that would leave a big hole for rocks and dirt and junk.