Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

02 V6 whining noise during shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:21 PM
Default 02 V6 whining noise during shifting

When I start the car from cold, it makes a whining noise. Then I shift it into park and the whining steadily progresses in proportion to the increasing RPM's as I accelerate. It doesn't want to shift out of first, and I have to get the revs quite high before it progresses to second gear. The whining decreases in intensity with each successive (higher) gear, and it becomes less prevalent after I've driven for 10 minutes.

After driving for 10 minutes, I pulled over and checked the ATF level while the engine was still running. It was about 1/4" below the lower mark for the HOT reading.

I started hearing this about 6 months ago and it's slowly gotten worse over time. Any thoughts what might be going on?

Old 04-20-2024, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Is the noise any louder in reverse?

Anyone ever inspect the trans filter?

Old 04-21-2024, 02:25 AM

Here is a video I took this evening. I initially I was sitting idle and not moving, just cycling through the different gears with the shift lever. Then I started driving. It's a bit difficult to hear. Park and neutral don't really make any noise, and reverse does seem to be maybe a tad louder than in drive, but it's hard to tell.

And no, the filter has never (to my awareness) been cleaned. You think that could cause this?

Old 04-22-2024, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Can't hear the noise.

Get a section of rubber hose to use as a stethoscope. Determine if the noise is coming from the trans body or bell housing/torque converter.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I can't hear it in the video. Maybe have someone shift gears and you record the underhood area?
Is your power steering fluid full?

Old 04-26-2024, 11:01 PM

Yea after reviewing the video myself I guess it would be pretty tricky for someone else to discern what the problematic noise is.

I've been busy this week and haven't had time to investigate it. The noise is most prominent when I'm accelerating before it shifts to the next gear, so listening to it with the stethoscopic tubing probably won't be in the realm of possibilities. I don't think it's related to the steering at all, it's definitely something going on with the transmission.

I will try to have someone shift the gears when the car has just started (when it's worst) and see if I can get a recording from under the hood.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Could be a failing transmission oil pump. This could also cause low trans hydraulic pressure and trans shift issues.

Drop the trans pan and inspect the trans filter and small magnets placed on the bottom of the pan for metal debris.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Yeah, I can't hear it in the video. Maybe have someone shift gears and you record the underhood area?
Is your power steering fluid full?
I'm curious, how do think a low power steering fluid level might be causing these symptoms?

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be a failing transmission oil pump. This could also cause low trans hydraulic pressure and trans shift issues.

Drop the trans pan and inspect the trans filter and small magnets placed on the bottom of the pan for metal debris.
I was watching
video to determine the proper procedure for checking the filter and magnets. It doesn't seem too complex. If I were to find debris on those magnets, what would I do about it? If that would be indicative of a failing trans pump, would the replacement of that be extensive?